Re: How have bond markets fared?

AMP Capital expert

How have bond markets fared?

[ Edited ]

Hello again - I found this chart interesting in the daily note from our Global Dealing Team - its been the worst quarter for bonds in Australia and the UK for more than 20 years!  The levers within your investment strategy around defence and income, need to be reconsidered as we head into 2017.

bond markets on the quarter.jpg
Contributor

Just what I would have expected, next to feel the pain are holders of so-called yield stocks.

New Contributor

I have half my smsf in bonds with fig and have not have any loss at all.what am I missing.my main complaint is that wholesale bonds are restricted to people who have less than two milllon in assets but can buy shares in the same company with more Risk with no restrictions 

New Contributor

I have half of my smsf in bonds with fig and have had no loss at all.what am I missing.my main complaint is that you are restricted from buying wholesale bonds unless you have over two million in assets yet you can buy shares in the same company with more volatility and risk with no restrictions .ln this low interest inviroment how stupid is this legislation 

Highlighted
AMP Capital expert

[ Edited ]

@colson65

Yes access is definitely an issue for retail investors, an important consideration with building your own Fixed Income portfolio is to make sure you get the benefit of diversification.....much more valuable than in equities....because in equities you can find a good stock to compensate for a poor one....whereas in bonds its asymmetric, the best outcome is you get your money back, the worst is a substantial write-off of capital.....apologies for delay in responding.....summer vacation....let me know if that answers your question

Download our ebook
"Taking your SMSF to the next level"